- When you feel worn down, your immune system is compromised. There are links between colds/flu and lack of sleep. Wash your hands and get some shut eye!!!
- When you are sleep deprived, your body is in a state of inflammation... just like hypertension. When you add the caffeine that we drink to keep ourselves awake, we are really putting our cardiovascular system under a lot of pressure.... no pun intended.
I am such a cheese ball.
- One of the reasons people develop diabetes type two is because their body becomes resistant to insulin.... In other words, it takes more work to regulate their blood sugar. When we are sleep deprived, our bodies go into a temporary state of insulin resistance. Proper sleep and weight training are GREAT tools to increase our body's sensitivity to insulin (meaning, it makes our blood sugar regulation process more EFFICIENT).
- People who are sleep deprived have the same driving skills as someone who is drunk... This explains a lot. Please, get your sleep.... for the sake of everyone on the road.
- There are also links between obesity and lack of sleep. No one knows for sure why this is, but there is evidence that it is a hormone thing.... great, don't you love it when the doctor blames it on "hormones." Apparently, we have a reduced amount of leptin (controls hunger and keeps that beast of an appetite at bay) in our bodies when we are sleep deprived. People also tend to mindlessly eat in front of the TV at night. If you get to bed early, you skip the munchies!!!
REFERENCE here at WEBMD