Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Plyometrics - Day 3

Today was, indeed, the dreaded plyometric workout. I was not able to work out this morning before work because family dinner went too late into the evening last night. However, I made it a priority to complete the workout today when I got home. My overall impression of the plyometric workout is that it is very good for athletes who need to train those fast twitch muscle fibers. My heart rate was definitely increased and I felt that it was a great cardiovascular workout. However, my downstairs neighbor probably did not appreciate my jumping and leaping; that means that I was not graceful in my landing. I have so much to learn/train. My knee did start to hurt about 45 minutes into the workout. From that point on I lowered my impact and just did the squats or lunges without jumping. I also did the ab ripper X video after plyo; HARD!!!! My hip flexors were fatigued already; leg lifts and scissor crunches were very difficult. My cheap apartment carpet ripped in a small section from my, apparently too intense, leaps and jumps across the living room. My dog did not appreciate my spastic behavior either. He kept barking at me; again, another reason for my down stairs neighbor to despise me.

Healthy thought of the day: I was doing some more research on the food pyramid today. Honestly, I am not a fan. I think that there is too much emphasis on the whole "6-11 servings" of grains. They only recommend half of your grains to be whole grains and actually give you permission to have refined grains for the other half. I know that they are trying to be realistic; I did have a fabulous yeast role at my parents last night. HOWEVER, half of our grains? Really? I Like the Harvard Public Health Pyramid. They actually include refined carbohydrates in the same category as sweets. They are genius! Of course, they ARE Harvard.

Healthyfully and unrefined,
*B*

No comments:

Post a Comment