Saturday, April 16, 2011

Family Fridays = Love and Surprises


Last night we celebrated Clay's grandmother's birthday a little early. Clay's aunt lives up north of us and came in to town to get some shopping done; she knew she was coming over for dinner with the local family, but was pleasantly surprised when we had out of town family too. I love surprises and had a hard time NOT tearing up...It was very sweet. I went over there after work and enjoyed chatting and eating fabulous, home made guacamole (I should not have eaten so much before dinner, but I am pretty sure I helped scarf the entire bowl). Clay's mom always does a great job at planning a meal that is not only scrumptious, but healthy as well. She pays such close attention to details, but in a relaxed way so everyone truly feels at home. 

"Manners are a sensitive awareness of the feelings of others. If you have that awareness, you have good manners, no matter what fork you use" - Emily Post


Here are some pictures of the table setting, minus the candles and the glasses:








Corn, Bean, Feta salad served in wine glasses - DAINTY AND TASTY!!!




Dinner consisted of marinated, grilled teriyaki salmon, green beans, asparagus (chilled with pimentos, Italian dressing, and olive oil) and fresh from Sams Club rosemary, Italian bread (YUM). A good rule of thumb when you are at a dinner party, is to fill half of your plate with veggies, 25% with carbs, and 25% with protein. Portions for meat should be about the size of your palm, bread should be about a cupped handful, and veggies.... just eat what your heart desires (unless there is butter involved)..... again, just a general guideline... I am not a dietitian, but I teach blood pressure management and diabetes education, and this is one of the topics we discuss. 


Dessert was a truffle with sugar free angel food cake, light cherry pie filling, sugar free cool whip, and a tid bit of cream cheese. This was sooooo good. The cream cheese added a richer flavor so it did not taste like a "diet" dessert, but because there was not a lot, the calories were still acceptable.... So I had two goblets.... =)




Dessert in a goblet
It was a great night and I really enjoyed visiting with Clay's family. His grandmother worked as a nurse and we spend time talking about the changes in nursing. She gave me her old nursing book when I graduated with my BSN and I was so touched. It looks like a note pad compared to the honk'n encyclopedia I had to purchase, but it is neat to look through. Taking time to listen to people who have lived life is priceless, and I am so thankful. 

What is some advice that you have been told my an older loved one?
Do you have any dinner party advice?

No comments:

Post a Comment