Friday, June 24, 2011
Another Chicken Recipe
2 Tbsp EVOO (Extra virgin olive oil)
1 medium onion - peeled and finely chopped
3 large carrots peeled and cut into chunks
4 stalks celery trimmed and chopped
4 cloves garlic passed through a garlic press
1/4 cup of sun-dried tomatoes (not the ones found packed in oil)
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 2/3 Cup chicken stock-low sodium
1 can 1 (15 oz each) navy beans, pinto beans or black eye peas, rinsed and well drained
1/4 cup of fresh basil, chopped fine
1 tsp thyme
2 Tbsp minced parsley
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts or 1 small skinless boneless turkey breast cut into 4 large pieces
1. Peel and slice the onion.
2. Peel and cut the carrots
3. press the garlic
4. trim and cut the celery
5. Rinse and drain the beans of your choice
1. Spread half of beans in the bottom of your slow cooker
2. Season poultry with pepper and sea salt.. Heat EVO over medium heat in a skillet. Brown the poultry on both sides in the skillet for about 5 minutes each side.
3. Place the browned poultry on top of the beans in the slow cooker. Top with the remaining beans and the chicken stock. (you can sub with water)
4. In the same skillet, saute onions, carrots, garlic, sun dried tomatoes, celery and herbs. Stirring occasionally.
5. Spread the mixture over the ingredients in the slow cooker.
Cover and cook Low 6 hr (or High 3 hr) until juices run clear when chicken is pierced.
Makes 6 servings.
261 calories, protein 24g, carbs 24g, Dietary fiber 6g, fat 6g, and sodium 553mg